Federal agencies set aside this week for tsunami preparedness | Weather
SACRAMENTO, CA Tsunamis are long high sea waves caused by an earthquake or other disturbance. Every coastline in the United States can be impacted by tsunamis, but some areas are at higher risk than others.
Just off the West Coast of the United States, lies the Cascadia subduction fault. This is almost identical to the fault that ruptured in Japan causing a deadly 9.0 earthquake and tsunami. The Cascadia fault last ruptured in 1700 but is still capable of unleashing a tsunami as devastating as the one in Japan.
This week is Tsunami Preparedness Week. Federal agencies are coming together to educate the public on tsunami warnings and the threat to coastlines across the United States.
For more information go to: http://nthmp.tsunami.gov/taw/tsunami-awareness-week.html
Upcoming Events near Midtown / Downtown / Old Sac / N. Sac
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Handmade Holiday Decor: DIY Faux Brass Himmeli Orb
- Help Elder Neighbors Connect to the Community
- East Sacramento Santa Adventure and Holiday Boutique—This will be a great event!
- Tips For Responding to the Draft Environmental Impact Report for McKinley Village
- Updates—41st and I Street Construction Projects