Death Valley claims the world record for hottest temperature | Weather
SACRAMENTO, CA Death Valley, California is known for its extreme heat. It holds the all-time record high for the United States and now it holds the world record.
The hottest temperature didn't occur today in the midst of this late summer heat. It actually occurred on July 10, 1913 when Death Valley hit a high temperature of 134 degrees.
The previous record was held by El Azizia, Libya when the thermometer hit 136 degrees at an Italian army base. Several pieces of documentation didn't add up to the extreme reading though and had long been debated.
After an in-depth investigation, meteorologists at the World Meteorological Organization felt there was enough persuading evidence to overturn the previous record.
Upcoming Events near Midtown / Downtown / Old Sac / N. Sac
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man found shot to death at Fair Oaks home
- Aerial spraying for West Nile virus set for north Sacramento County
- Cooley Bill Strengthens Responsible Management of State IT Projects
- News10 My Neighborhood Wishes You a Very Happy 4th of July Holiday Weekend!
- Assemblyman Cooley’s AB 2187 Signed by the Governor - Ensures Funding for Child Abuse Prevention