Sacramento first-grader saves friend with Heimlich | News
SACRAMENTO, CA - A 6-year-old girl who saw the Heimlich maneuver used on a Disney Channel TV show saved a first grade classmate who was choking on an apple slice.
Elspeth "Beanie" Mar knew exactly what to do when her friend, Aniyah Rigmaiden, began gasping for air during lunch Tuesday in the Caroline Wenzel Elementary School cafeteria.
Another classmate, Anthony Roy, Jr., was the first to notice Aniyah grabbing her neck and brought it to the attention of the other children sitting at the first graders' table.
Beanie later demonstrated how she got up off the bench and stood behind Aniyah, wrapping her arms around her friend and dislodging the piece of apple with a single thrust.
Principal Judy Montgomery said she's performed the Heimlich on two students during her career, but had never seen it used by one child to save another.
Montgomery marveled at the fact a 38-pound girl was successful in her first attempt.
"I think she found the sweet spot," Montgomery said.
by George Warren
Upcoming Events near Midtown / Downtown / Old Sac / N. Sac
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Handmade Holiday Decor: DIY Faux Brass Himmeli Orb
- Help Elder Neighbors Connect to the Community
- East Sacramento Santa Adventure and Holiday Boutique—This will be a great event!
- Tips For Responding to the Draft Environmental Impact Report for McKinley Village
- Updates—41st and I Street Construction Projects