Sacramento names new police chief | News
SACRAMENTO, CA - The city of Sacramento has a new chief of police. He is Sam Somers, a deputy chief since 2006 in the Sacramento Police Department.
Somers joined the department in 1984 as a community service officer, according to a city news release. He has managed up every division within the department, with most recent being the Office of Field Services.
Somers was selected by a group of local police chiefs, former city managers, the current assistant city manager and the city fire chief as well as a panel of community and business leaders.
The new chief takes control Feb. 16. His salary will be $197,000 a year.
Sacramento's previous chief of police, Rick Braziel, retired late last year.
Upcoming Events near Midtown / Downtown / Old Sac / N. Sac
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Handmade Holiday Decor: DIY Faux Brass Himmeli Orb
- Help Elder Neighbors Connect to the Community
- East Sacramento Santa Adventure and Holiday Boutique—This will be a great event!
- Tips For Responding to the Draft Environmental Impact Report for McKinley Village
- Updates—41st and I Street Construction Projects