SACRAMENTO (AP) - Authorities are crediting a chocolate Labrador with saving the life of a Sacramento man after it alerted him to a fire inside his home.
Sacramento Fire Department spokesperson Roberto Padilla said the man told firefighters he was sleeping when his dog Buddy nudged him and woke him up around 6:30 p.m. Thursday. The man saw a fire burning in a bedroom in the rear of his house on 40th Street.
The man was treated at the scene and then released. He later went to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation.
Padilla said the man did not recall hearing a smoke alarm, and firefighters found no evidence of a working smoke detector in the house. He said the home had significant damage.