Our network

Soldier's emergency leave ends while husband remains in coma


SACRAMENTO - When a head injury on the football field left Sacramento Wildcats player D'Ondre Ransom in a coma earlier this month, the toll on his family was overwhelming. His wife, who is on active duty in the Army, brought some relief when she returned to the family on emergency leave.

But Tuesday the family faced a painful goodbye.

Army Specialist Jessica Ransom said going back to her base in Georgia with so much left uncertain is one of the many sacrifices she has to make as a soldier.

"You would think he would be safe. You'd think he'd be fine back home," Jessica Ransom said as she prepared to board her plane at Sacramento International Airport.

D'Ondre Ransom was injured during a game with the semi-pro Wildcats April 5 in Santa Rosa. His mother said he fell down after he was hit. He got back up, fell again and then stopped breathing.

Community Sponsors

Sheriff: Woman missing since March 18


CORRECTION April 22: It's been four days since Danielle Pruden has had contact with family or friends and her cellphone has been deactivated, authorities said. Information in an earlier version of this story stating Pruden had been missing since March 18 has been deleted.

For the 29-year-old woman to not be in contact is out of character and the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department is asking anyone with information about Pruden to come forward.

Sheriff's Sgt. Lisa Bowman says the last report of anyone seeing Pruden was as she left her home on the 6000 block of Demuth Circle in Sacramento on April 18 at 6 p.m. Prudent was driving her 2006, cream-colored Chrysler PT Cruiser with a black top and Kentucky license plate number 147PZB.

Sacramento Kings, Turner Construction Partner with City of Sacramento Keep Construction Taxes Local

Sacramento Kings, Turner Construction Partner with City of Sacramento Keep Construction Taxes Local

The Kings announced a new partnership with the City of Sacramento and Turner Construction to localize sales and use tax revenues collected in relation to the construction of the new downtown entertainment and sports center... Read More

Sacramento man, 68, halts Mt. Everest climb

Sacramento man, 68, halts Mt. Everest climb


Sacramento's Jim Geiger has decided to end his quest to become the oldest American to climb Mount Everest.

Geiger, 68, announced his decision Tuesday on his blog. In the announcement, Geiger talks about Friday's avalanche on the mountain that killed at least 12 Sherpa guides.

Since the accident on Friday my priorities have completely shifted away from climbing this mountain or setting any records. Respecting and honoring the 16 Sherpa that died and their families as well as honoring my responsibilities to my family and staying safe are of utmost importance now. In addition to remaining a supportive team member, it is very clear what I need to do. I have clarity, focus, ease, and grace.

Authorities say 13 bodies were recovered; three people were still missing. Geiger was not hurt.

Community Sponsors

"Fire Takes On Law" - 2014 Guns and Hoses Basketball Game!

"Fire Takes On Law" - 2014 Guns and Hoses Basketball Game!

HealthCorps positions open to youth and older

HealthCorps positions open to youth and older

One of America’s leading advocates in providing health education, HealthCorps, is currently searching for new coordinators in the Sacramento area. These coordinators would be in charge of leading school and community based programs designed to heighten physical, mental, and emotional health. HealthCorps employees are keen on spreading lessons in fitness and tailoring the next generation for long, healthy lives.

HealthCorps coordinators should be passionate about health and be able to lead and participate in community outreach programs. Image courtesy of HealthCorps.org.

Founded in 2003 by renowned heart surgeon, author, and talk show host Mehmet Oz, HealthCorps has launched a huge number of health education programs throughout America. As stated on HealthCorps.org, their mission is to “implement an innovative in-school model that inspires teens to make healthier choices for themselves and their families.”... Read More

Kings to spend extra $30M on Sacramento arena


SACRAMENTO – Tuesday night, the Sacramento City Council will review the final deal between the city and the Sacramento Kings to build a new arena at the site of the Downtown Plaza.

The term sheet, which doesn't vary drastically from the preliminary term sheet that was drafted last year, was released Monday afternoon.

"When you look at this plaza, it is truly a gift to the community from the Kings," Sacramento Assistant Manager John Dangberg said, while pointing out that the Kings have opted to invest an additional $30 million into the project, raising the total price to $447 million.

Kings' President Chris Granger said the organization wants to invest more into the plaza surrounding the arena, L Street and a state-of-the-art practice facility for players.